Tuesday, May 3, 2016

We made butter!

I just want to point out my newest shirt to my closet... I wore it today. My little routine of coffee then milking Molly has been sweet (literally) and being able to put her cream into my coffee has been amazing. 


Onto butter making ...

It was SO easy! I took the milk from Saturday's milking (as it is better to let the cream rise a few days) and I skimmed the cream off the top. (we get about 2 gallons a day from Molly. She also has two calves she's supporting so we are very happy with two gallons a day) 





I've been getting much better cream lately. She had been holding it up for the calves. 


Okay, after I skim it off the top,  I dump the cream into my kitchen aid mixer and let it run for about 8 minutes. First it turned into whipped cream (obviously) 


Once it broke down it was crazy to see. The butter separated from the buttermilk like magic. 


I poured the buttermilk off and rinsed the butter, added some salt and boom!! 


We took it to grandmas for lunch and had it on rolls. It. Was. Great!! 


It's kinda fun having a milk cow. 

Drinking it daily has been rewarding as well. 


They say the benefits are huge from natural raw milk. More vitamins. Healthier because pasteurization isn't very good for you. Who knows how long I'll keep this up but it sure has been a learning experience. Plus Molly girl is pretty darn sweet to have around. 
 
(Cooper likes to feed her with his gator) 

Sans pants 


We had her TB tested and had a bangs test done just to be sure the milk is okay. Plus I have a mastitis test kit I can use any time I question the milk. But it's pretty obvious when a cow gets mastitis. Last time I did it she had zero elevated cells. 


I clean her udder very well before milking and use a teat wash as well. Sounds like a lot but start to finish takes about 20 minutes. 

AND I use commercial grade filters to filter the milk once I get it inside.

 

The filters work amazing and it's crazy to see what little pieces make their way into the bucket. Kinda gross but reassuring to see its not staying in the milk. 



It took weeks of research and prayer for me to try my first glass of milk. I have a few "friends" that I have met that do the milk cow thing as well. They've helped me a lot. I had to keep reassuring myself that this is how my grandpa was raised. This is how most likely your grandparents were raised. It's natural and as long as it's handled with respect and care it can be safe.  I know what Molly eats and where she is at all the time. It's an adventure for sure! (The calves she's raising look amazing as well)