Monday, December 21, 2015

Small acts...

Stay with me for a second-this mama heart needs to share a story from what was supposed to be a quick and monotonous Walmart trip . .

 {Usually} lately the three year old in our home wants and whines and fits for whatever he wants. He's spoiled and often shows a sense of entitlement already. But today at 'Malmart' I gave him two quarters to ride when we were done because he was great while shopping. Then as the ride ended I handed him two more quarters to give to the lady ringing the Salvation Army bell while explaining that we give that money to help people because that's what Christmas is all about. 

Well...In the two seconds between the ride and the bell he noticed a little guy that's sad because his mama didn't have two quarters for a ride. Cooper said 'here u go. wana ride the Mickey truck?' And the little boy smiled and jumped in and said 'sure wana ride with me?' And they did. And Cooper smiled and allowed the boy to drive and be in charge. (Which if you know my kid -he likes to be line leader -he likes to drive -he likes to be the one doing) 



The part of the story that's the best? The little boy was filthy, his jammies were way too small with holes everywhere and his little mullet was looking pretty rough ( for a mullet ) I personally thought he was adorable with little dimples and Cooper approached him with zero reservations. But I am pretty sure he and his family is one that gets 'avoided' or 'skipped over' often. ...after the ride was over I smiled at the other mother and handed Cooper two more quarters for the Salvation Army bucket. When we got in the car I said "that made my heart really happy that you shared with that little boy and I bet it made Jesus' heart happy too babe" and he looked at me and said "that's what Christmas is all about isn't it mama" 

So to the mommy or daddy that thinks they are getting it all wrong and worries that just maybe their kids are missing the mark on social kindness and serving-be encouraged, be encouraging, and keep on keeping on. Because although you don't think they see and hear everything, they very much do and it matters. 💜