It was an accident. And the reason I share is I googled and googled trying to find out what could happen and only BAD things came up…like DEATH! or COMA! So maybe a mama will find this through google and find some relief if she's in a panic.
I always have bought INFANT tylenol for Cooper, because he's always been an infant. Well for the trip he would be almost TWO so I bought some children's tylenol. Fast forward and the first day of vacation he's messing with his ear and i thought oh no you're not going to get sick on our first day! So I wanted to give him some tylenol incase it was hurting. I FILLED UP the tylenol cup as I had before and he drank it down. I turned the bottle around and read "children's tylenol"…and my heart stopped. I knew i packed children's tylenol, but when i got it out i completely forgot. I gave him 3x as much as he needed, enough for an 11 year old. I knew that too much tylenol COULD cause liver failure….{remember i said MOTHER OF THE YEAR}
I immediately took him in the bathroom and made him gag some up, which in itself was horrible for us both. Then after a few minutes that seemed like hours I called our dr in the states. She handled it like a champ and told me she would do the math on how many grams per pound yada yada…and for me to call her back in a few. So I did. She reassured me he would be fine, after throwing up he probably only got 2x as much as he needed. And that for it to shut his kidneys down it would need to be something like 10x too much. She advised me to watch him but to enjoy my vacation and forgive myself because it happens more than you think. Granted she did tell me she wouldn't give him tylenol for a few days. :) {I don't know that ill ever give him tylenol again lol}
Well, I may have bawled that night….and the next morning and Kregg may have brought me coffee that next morning with some sweet words of "babe forgive yourself, your a good mama"
I don't write this to say its OKAY to OD your toddler. In fact I'm normally SO VERY careful with him and medicines, I think that was why I was so upset! But I also believe it shows that I'm just a mama trying to do right, and even then, things happen. And I also believe that most people would say "Well i wouldn't tell people you did that"…but I think as a mama its good to be transparent, so others know the good and the bad.
Luckily--he's okay and lesson was learned to check check and check again!
(The phone bill for those 8 minutes calling the USA was $80…luckily the front desk waved most of it after I humbly explained the situation of HAVING to call my Dr.)
See for yourself---he's happy and healthy!
