Saturday, June 7, 2014

Papas mommy...

I love this time of year. 

Summer?...swimming?...yes

My husband is soon to be gone late hours working in the fields....ehh not so much. 

But Harvest! Yes! Harvest. We work all year for this time. Whether it's plowing the fields or praying for rain or planting the wheat or praying for rain or grazing cattle on the wheat or praying for rain. The next few weeks is what it's all about. Reaping what we sew. 

{I say we because I truly feel that we all take part in it...whether it's the little guy riding on the tractor to see daddy because he's working late or this mama taking drinks out to the field or the handsome farmer himself putting in his (longer) time...it's a team effort}

And on this side of the team...well we are READY! The groceries are purchased, the camper/chuck wagon is cleaned out, the mandatory 'harvest shirts' are here...like I said we are ready. 


Someone 'helped' me clean out the chuck wagon today in his little harvest shirt. Since there's been little rain and the wheat isn't going to yield very well we have baled probably 1/4 of our wheat. Hence the reason I put a tractor baler and hay bales on the shirt ;) may as well laugh about it because pouting won't change things. 

I'm no Betty Crocker and I'm definitely not as good of a cook as my mother in law and I'm for sure not as organized as my mama but I try my best to keep the guys' bellies full through harvest. 

Each year Ive taken grandma Lorene out to the harvest field at least once sometimes twice. After all, she should see what she helped build. :) this year I'm not sure I'll be able to as she's in the hospital and not doing well at all. Either way I'll never forget being 7 months pregnant, in the heat, boosting her up into the truck to go take supper to the field. That was probably a sight. 

Cooper and I spent over an hour visiting her this morning and it was so special. He laid with her in her bed and just talked til he couldn't talk anymore and and sang to her every song he knew. It was almost like he knew she was not well, because my child doesn't sit still like he did this morning. I debated sharing this picture, as grandma looks pretty fragile, but I want him to have this special time to remember. She wasn't able to talk to him but her eyes were watching and she would try to laugh when he was being silly. 

She's tired but she never complains. 
She's frail but she keeps holding on. 


Cooper keeps talking about "papas mommy" and how he gave her water. 

I'm not sure our visit was the most relaxing hour for her but I do hope it made her heart happy.