I've never been so dang proud of this kid as I was in August. I shouldn't say just August, i'd say from the day we got old 'spitfire' in March as an orphan calf.
Papa brought him to us, he was a spunky little calf, but we knew we could tame him.
I knew that when I had kids they would show, because there is so much to learn, but it doesn't happen in that ring, it happens mostly outside of there. The character, hard work and determination to learn your project and do the work to prepare comes much before you put on your button up shirt and fancy boots. What I want for Cooper to learn from the fair and 4-H projects is exactly what he learned this year. Work hard to do the behind the scenes stuff thats not always fun. Feed your calf twice a day, even when you'd rather be doing other things. Walk your calf, even when its hot outside.
Put in the time and you'll learn the main lesson there is to learn.
And sure enough we did it, with a lot of time and attention and hard work, he calmed down.
Cooper was the main care taker of old spitfire all summer, which is the goal of the project and always has been!
The fair was just as I remembered as a kid, wonderful!
![]() |
| Blurry pic- if you can't tell- ill just tell you its CUTE! |
Kids chipped in and helped with each others animals, even if it was mostly an excuse to get soaked and have a fun time.
| God Bless the pot bellied Bucket Calves that help raise our babies :) |
| Learning to groom them young |
| Maybe next year we will talk his cousins into showing calves |
Again, we had a great time learning this project, just as I hoped.


