Wednesday, April 25, 2018

kindergarten roundup

Kindergarten roundup was this morning and we had one excited 5 year old on our hands! If I’m being honest, his daddy and I were pretty dang excited for him as well. Today was the day they got to spend a few hours in the classroom and the lunchroom with the teachers, sans parents. A way to gain excitement and hopefully settle some jitters before Fall. 

I didn’t think much of today because it’s just roundup, but when I woke up to get showered and ready I just started bawling. I’ll own those emotions gladly, they aren’t pregnancy emotions from the overage of hormones flowing through my body these days, they are all the feels of raising a kid. I let myself cry a few minutes while feeling sad for the growing pains, then got myself composed and made breakfast then went on to wake Cooper. 

I remember being told when I was pregnant with Cooper to trust my mama gut, and I have been true to that gut and intuition that God gave me and it’s paid off. So when we decided to red shirt him last year because of his summer birthday, we were pretty confident in this choice. But this morning when the teacher said “ok kids let’s go” and he turned and smiled at us then walked away, we were VERY confident in this choice.  He didn’t even stop to hug us, and while I usually would have been sad about this I wasn’t. I was so excited that he was ready and free to go.  We have tried hard to raise him with confidence and give him many experiences to be able to spread his wings, and now we get to slowly reap what we’ve sewn in him. 

It’s scary to walk away from new beginnings, especially when you leave half of your heart there. But I’ve always been a believer to pray when I’m anxious and pray when I worry. So that’s what I did today and that’s what I’ll do come fall when I leave him in the hands of another person all day every day, I’ll pray as I walk away. 

But for now I get to enjoy and soak up 4 months until he really goes to kindergarten.