Thursday, November 3, 2011

Books that blessed me...

So I read a lot these days, in the bath tub(weird I know). Its my favorite place to be, always has been. lol.

I find myself getting bored with fake books about fake people but love true stories! This week I finished two books, one was written by Brenda Warner, wife of nfl quarterback, mother of 7 kids. Its called "one call away". Read it in two days because it was real, raw and inspiring.

Brenda Warners book is great! Shows her @her weakest moments, shows her making millions, having two miscarriages, having a special needs child, losing her parents, but most most of all it shows her having to lean on her faith the entire time. She was forced to trust not in Man but in God.

One part after a broken marriage due to cheating, while she was living off food stamps, she decides to date Kurt Warner the NFL star (was not nfl when they started) she says this; "could I trust him? I prayed about that for a while, laying my dilemma before God. And somewhere deep inside I felt I heard an answer; trust me, not man. I realized even if the guy I was dating or married to was perfect, in the back of my mind their would always be a seed of distrust. That was the unwanted gift neil gave me. But god was showing me that I didn't have to have a perfect man or even to trust him completely, instead I could put my trust in a heavenly father."

This is good, as a woman I struggle with trust, trusting friends trusting myself, and even trusting my spouse. These doubts aren't because my current friends are backstabbing, and its not at all because my husband cheats, these are learned, from prior situations. And at times I put too much trust in people, when its not necessary, and not enough in God.

Brenda`s book reminded me that when you keep your eye focused, you cannot be disappointed. Yes people and things and situations on this earth may let you down, but not your entire world when you focus on God.

The other book was "Kisses From Katie". Of course no question why I chose this, she's younger than me and living in an overseas mission field, that she created. She's pretty amazing and as I read I had many emotions, jealousy of her doing what she's doing, sadness for the stories in her book, proud of her, not jealous of her, thankful for my life, wanting to help her, jealous of her wait I already said that. It was just neat because her learning to cook different ways in a different country, and transportation, and all that is stuff I've lived through so it was neat to be able to laugh and relate.

I'd definitely suggest this one to a friend. Its real and true. She's a blessing and I wish everyone would read that book. I wish everyone saw every city they live in as a mission field, I struggle as well with it.

Good reads, what's next?

Katie M. Carothers

Land Agent, Shell Gulf of Mexico, Inc