He started the summer brave when he stepped up to play pitcher in his first t-ball game ever, and even though deep down he had moments of fear and frustration, he did it.
He ended his summer brave when he walked into the show ring at the fair with two 300 pound animals to handle with one broken arm, a little nervous and apprehensive, but yet he did it.
I also know that he will be brave as he walks into his kindergarten classroom Thursday and when he becomes a big brother next month, unsure of what all of it means, but I know he will do it bravely. I've spent six years right here, being fully immersed, in whatever mothering him asks of me, its beautiful and exhausting and it freaking hurts, but I think we've done okay. Bring on the continual growing pains, we are bravely ready for you!
I know he can always be brave because he has a brave mommy and daddy at home, encouraging him that even when you're afraid, you can show up...and THATS being brave.
I remember one of my friends told me that she sees Cooper's confidence in himself and ability to love others greatly, and she knows its because he knows he is loved well, therefore can pour into others, and I agree. It's taken a lot of focused time and intentional patience and love and grace the past six years to get him 'Kindergarten ready' but we are there, we are so very there. When you ask him how he will do in Kindergarten he responds humbly yet confidently "awesome, I'm going to do awesome mom" and I quickly agree. Yet, I'm sure some would wonder if boosting him up so high is doing him a disservice in the long run, yet my goal for my kids is for them to be excessively confident. I want an overabundance when it comes to how they feel about their worth and capabilities, because as they grow, the world WILL knock them down, and by building their confidence through the years I can provide a true cushion to soften those blows. Self love has to be taught, not given and I know when the world's harsh realities hit, he will have plenty of reserves of confidence to fall back onto. Besides, our job as parents is to remind them that the God who created the stars and the sky created them in HIS image, and they are in turn fearfully and wonderfully made.
So I also have no question on this babe in my belly and how brave it will be from day one, because it has a brave daddy, a brave mommy and a brave big brother.
{5 weeks from today we get to meet brave baby #2}

