Saturday, June 13, 2015

Cherokee grandma

Lauren had surgery-so I offered for Ella aka the big handful to stay with us to help her out. It's no secret-the girl is a terror at home. But she's an angel for me!

So Cooper had his first sleepover 



Until 2:30 AM when we got a call that kreggs sweet grandma was probably not going to make it through the night. 

So we took Ella home and headed to Wichita. 


Cooper couldn't go in but I held him at the door and he sang Jesus Loves Me to her and she moved her feet back and forth-I know his sweet voice made was a joy to her in that moment. And after seeing her, saying some prayers and squeezing her sweet hands we headed back home. 


And you know the biggest blessing to me through this last 24 hours with grandma passing? My sweet friend Renee was her ICU nurse from 7AM-7PM that next day. When I met her on the road and called to tell her about grandma I just knew she would be her nurse and give her the sweetest loving care in her last few hours. And around 3 PM I got a text from my sweet friend:


She felt so helpless and sad for us and she needed to tell me she tried everything. And in my heart of hearts I already knew that. 

That. was a God thing! 

And she was there with us during those last few moments. 

You see, Cooper, your great grandpa Bill Beard passed away when grandma Marsha was a young lady. But your daddy's "Cherokee grandma" as he called her she's stayed a widow the rest of her life. Mommy didn't get to know her very long, and when I knew her it was mostly after her stroke. But she was a lovely woman, sweet and funny and always called you "her sweetheart" 


We laid her to rest on June 1, 2015 with a lovely service. Our church family took such great care of us and gave us a great funeral dinner as well. Daddy and Uncle Kyle sang "How great Thou art" and did a wonderful job. 

Some special people came down for the funeral as well---here's one of them! 

He even dressed alike! 


I'm thankful Cooper got to meet his Cherokee grandma and enjoy her sweet spirit for a few years. We will all miss her!