Thursday, October 6, 2011

10 years ago...

Ten years ago today grandpa Kenneth passed away, dad`s dad. It was a traumatic death for our family as he died on the tractor, while it was still moving. I was in the bathtub (go figure)when mom got the call, I remember mom banging on the door telling me to get out, we needed to go to the hospital.

He was many things, he was hard, yet soft..a farmer, yet looked nice on sundays in his cowboy suits..my grandpa dressed well! He was a good looking man! He was an interesting man, and I've learned the good and bad things about him since he's been gone, and I've learned to see it all as good. Because it was him, and that piece of my life was part of my puzzle piece that made me and we are to love without a doubt, without criticizing, with grace.

I remember when he and grandma would take Blake and I on trips, we went to Cheyenne frontier days one year, that was a fun trip and he Loved it because there were thousands of cowboys for him to talk to!
I remember his hair..I loved his hair, it was pretty and silver and did a big flip up and over,like a long cowlick. He would walk up behind me and squeeze my shoulders with his strong hands that used to milk cows, making me cringe, and how he stood with his hands on his hips always, almost as a pose.

I remember he and grandma took just me out to Colorado one time..to see his cowboy friend Hugh Bennett. I remember hugh had something wrong and wore white gloves, and I remember how happy he was to just talk to hugh, shoot I remember how happy he was to talk to most random strangers. I remember on that trip, how he grandma and I sang As The Deer the Entire trip back home..that was our song, and grandpas deeeep voice was patient to sing with me anytime I wanted.
I remember how at my volleyball games grandpa didn't understand some rules so he would yell at us girls when we messed up.

I could go on and on, but ill spare you all my little memories. I miss him, I miss how he really did make the family a complete unit, yes it may have been semi dysfunctional at times but he was here and he was my grandpa,I had a grandma, and that's how it should be. Grandmas done pretty good on her own considering, but its hard all around. It was very hard for Dad, since he not only lost his father he lost his working farm partner, for this I am thankful blake has been willing and able to help him farm as a work partner.

When kregg dies I'd like to go with him, man wasn't meant to be alone, and woman wasn't either..its biblical. And because now that he's in my life I cannot imagine life without him.

Treasure each moment, you never know what can happen. 10 years ago I didn't expect to lose a Grandpa.
Katie M. Carothers

Land Agent, Shell Gulf of Mexico, Inc