Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Kenbe Fem

Kenbe Fem...Creole for "Hold Firm". Its probably the most common phrase in creole..kenbe fem pa lage (hold firm,don't let go) I don't know how many times I said this the past 7 yrs going to haiti and while living there `ou kenbe?` you holdn? Its funny bc we say hey you doing good? But there they say you holdn on? And the past 8 or so years at times I feel like I'm just holdn on.

I have had this on my wrist since november and although people don't get it, I smile daily when I see it. ¤the best part about people not getting it, is that its not for anyone else..its for me¤katie mae¤

Sometimes people go through things that they cannot explain, that they do not talk about...other times when life gets so uncomfortable all you can do is shut your eyes and pray, or hope, or just hold firm in your beliefs and know all will be okay.

I believe that kenbe fem has been my phrase for a long time. Through good times and bad, through my best shining moments to my darkest moments.

And although today I officially sold my house, and will be getting married in august buying a new home, I see future days of Kenbe Fem...perhaps not to the extent that its been in my past, but still used. Example when I'm having a baby..or perhaps when my future farmer isn't home and I'm alone feeling lonely..or even if financial situations get sticky being married to a farmer. Or if I'm facing temptations in the future, its a reminder that I need to hold firm in my faith, hold firm in my beliefs and not fall.

Having it on my wrist is interesting..bc it allows me to share my love for haiti with people that ask, which ultimately allows me to share my faith in God. So although I say its for nobody else, it is. I could have just remembered it daily without a tattoo..or gotten it somewhere else...or I could have gotten it in english which is my native language. But it wouldn't have meant the same...not even close. If u don't get it, that's okay too bc I didn't get it for you :)

I hate tattoos..honest I do..but I love them when they are an expression of the persons life..not just random things.
Anyways, I was just unpacking the last of my things with kregg thinking about all that my life has brought me and was reminded to kenbe fem pa lage. Because jezi remen`m. (Jesus loves me)
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry