As I'm home for the Holidays I enjoy my moms house decorated with christmas , she's always got Christmas music playing, and of course there is a huge assortment of cookies.
Considering 21% of the worlds population is povern stricken and un-educated. And 12% of the USA is at this level too..these stats have made me think today.
In the bible, Mary received the greatest honor God could pay, he chose her to mother his son, Savior of the World! That's a huge thing to have on your shoulders! Most of the time we see it as a calm scene of perfection, just like the decorations of my mothers house. What I don't get is what really happened, yes Mary accepted this, and even stated `i am the lords servant` but I think what really happened is what most people experience in the world at this time. Saying yes to God, usually means a sacrifice. Of course this goes true for Mary...she endured the doubts of her Fiance (can you imagine explaining that you're pregnant when you've never been with anyone, and he KNEW it wasn't his) - she also endured the scorn of neighbors that saw her pregnant before marriage. She had pain from labor she didn't ask for and she had to flee to egypt to protect her baby from King Herod. And finally she had to watch her son that she had done so much to protect, Die on the Cross. Marys story was one of ups and downs and sweat and tears I'd imagine.
To me, nothing about this screams `perfect` or `reasonable` or even `filled with holiday spirit` so I think its easy to say that the way we celebrate it here in the USA is not at all like the real story. Its been pretty distorted, its like we celebrate Christmas on steroids. And as my friend said "where are the smells, sweat and tears that most of mary, joseph and Jesus` journey entailed. And do those 21% suffering in our world experience The Real Christmas Story more like mary joseph and Jesus or do we?"
I say this not because I don't enjoy cookies and get togethers that come at this time of year..I just was thinking and wanted to share. I just spent 6 months with 20k people that will not have a Christmas Tree, possibly won't have any gifts for their children and will be much like mary and joseph..no real place to lay their head safely at night.
So this Christmas I wish myself to be thankful and count my blessings. I'm thankful for Mary.
I have one christmas decoration up this year..my mom got me a 2 foot homemade tree she got from a special education student auction..and it makes me smile every time I look at it, knowing that some little kid made the ornaments to raise money for his own cause.
-Katie Mae DeWerff-
katiemae1984@gmail.com
