Friday, November 23, 2018

Callan Ryan Part 2 (delivery)

We were so dang ready to have this babe when the time came.  I tried to be a good mama while waiting the last few weeks but to be really honest I was just done.  I sat a lot and there wasn't much 'active' playing in those last few days for sure.  I watched...


THAT BELLY!! wowza  


This delivery/surgery was by far 'harder' than Cooper's was.  I'll never know if it was because it was six years later, a bigger baby or a different doctor than I had before, but IT. WAS. LONG and fairly intense.

We dropped Cooper off at school and headed out of town to find out if he was going to have a sister or a brother.  We sent him to school for the morning as there wasn't anything he really could be doing with us.

We checked in at the front desk and our pre op room wasn't ready so we had a few minutes to wait.  It was oddly a wonderful delay, we had time to sit and talk and I felt like time stood still for those twenty minutes.  We got to sit in the room with a family that was visiting their new baby and it just got us even more anxious for our day to get started.






Once we did get in our room things moved quickly!  They started my I.V. and did all of the consulting and signing of papers and off we went.  They rolled me into the same sterile operating room that we had Cooper in and did the spinal right away.  I'm not sure why but this time I was NOT going numb at all, they just had to keep pumping fluids into me because they couldn't start until I couldn't feel the pokes.  I do believe the above is why this time around was so much different and for lack of better words AWFUL.  I shook the entire time, as in I couldn't control my arms hardly and my jaw chattered the entire time.  My anesthesiologist and Kregg were such great supporters the entire time, holding my hand and talking to me reminding me that it was totally normal.

After what seemed like forever they told me baby was out and was perfect!  (at this point I told kregg I felt like i was going to pass out and I just knew i'd miss seeing the baby's face the first time)  I kept it together and when they lowered the blue sheet and showed us our little boy we both smiled and breathed a sigh of relief that baby was here safely.





A whole pound bigger than our first baby!



I've been waiting to touch that face for years baby!







The doctor told me that the cord was in a knot and that its not super common and could have been really bad had we had a natural delivery.  I've thought about this a few times the last few weeks and just keep counting my blessings that God knew we needed to have baby through a c section because of that cord and all that could have gone wrong.



He was a big ol boy weighing 8 pounds 10 ounces and 21 inches long...we kept laughing about how BIG he seemed compared to Cooper at birth.  The nurses kept saying they couldn't believe I had that big of a baby and I replied that I did drink raw milk all summer long and my tummy was rather large. Even my anesthesiologist came in before surgery and saw my belly and said he assumed there were two babies in there...now we know it was just a large babe.  I was a little annoyed with his assumption until I looked at the pictures he took later, he did great by capturing our little guy after birth.

They rolled me to my recovery room where I texted my friend who was bringing Coop up to be there first to meet baby...she was taking pictures of the first meeting so made sense to have her deliver.  She was super sweet and stopped and got him flowers to bring to us and a stuffed animal to bring his brother.  I told her it would be about an hour then we would be ready to let the boys meet!

Callan got cleaned up some and then daddy got him dressed and wrapped back up.




Our friendographer came in and squeezed him before Kregg went to get Coop.  Literally a year ago that week I was taking her picture and squeezing her newborn..life is funny- life is sweet.


How sweet is this!?!




TO BE CONTINUED!