Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother’s Day


Her first hour of being a grandma! 



My first mother’s day! 


Of all the women in the world I wouldn't have chosen her to be my mother. 
Hear me out. 

At 6 I would have chosen a mom that let me leave the dinner table even when I hadn't finished my food; instead He gave me one that made me sit and finish it even when it made the entire evening miserable for her. 

At 10 I would have chosen a mom that worked with my 4-H animals for me so I didn't have to fight my stubborn calves and sheep in the heat; instead He gave me a mom that made me {and my brother} go out daily and put in the time needed. 

At 13 I would have chosen a mom that let me go with some sketchy 'friends' to the skating rink on Friday nights; instead He gave me a mom with discernment that was more willing to upset me in the moment than give into my fits. 

At 15 I would have chosen a mom that let me date and encouraged these 'relationships'; instead He gave me a mom that told me to slow down and wait, that there was much more to life than dating. 

At 17 I would have chosen a mom, a 'fun' mom that let me go to parties and didn't care when I came home; instead He gave me a mom that shaped me into a young girl that chose to stay home and shoot baskets all night rather than go get drunk with friends. 

But you know, at 33; He's given me a mom that I would choose over and over and over again. Not because she was what I wanted all of my life in a mom, but because she's exactly what I NEEDED all of my life in a mom. 

And sure, I'll always see her as my mother, but now I see her as another woman, another human, with good intentions who did the best she could with what she had, doubting herself all along the way as we all do. 

I just pray that when coopers 33 and writing in his journal or blog (lol) orrrrrr maybe just thinking about his mama on Mother's Day, that he thanks His heavenly Father for giving him the mom he needed, because he is exactly the boy I needed! 


Happy Mother's Day!!!