Saturday, March 7, 2015

But because I showed up..

Lately I've tried to figure out what would make me a better mama. After all I feel like times going so fast and my chance to fully influence him before the world does is dwindling. Because Friday I enrolled him in 3 year old preschool for fall. Granted it's only two mornings a week but PRESCHOOL!!! 


I've come to accept this phrase about being a mom to a toddler: "not because I was qualified but because I showed up". So many times being present is really all you need to have an influence. I feel overwhelmed with messes when he helps me in the kitchen, but I let him. I feel lost when he wants to paint or color (as I honestly hate arts and crafts)  and I would rather plop him in his high chair alone to do it, but I sit with him and we figure it out. I'm also obviously too big for the playground but when he asks, I play (or at least look like I am). 

Having daddy home the last few weeks I've been able to 'watch' a little more and 'observe' their play. Cooper doesn't care what we build or that we can't draw a cow perfectly. He just wants me present, wants us present. 





I know that one of the most difficult things Cooper will do is grow-mentally physically and emotionally - and I wana be present in his growing- Not because I was qualified but because I showed up.